Veterans' Service Commission

Veterans Crisis Line

Veterans Crisis Line Logo

1-800-273-8255 or text 838255

Veterans' Service Commission

470 Center Street, Building #5-B
Chardon, Ohio 44024-1071

(440) 285-2222, 564-7131, 834-1856, Extension 1860
Direct Line:  (440) 279-1860
Fax:  (440) 285-4489


Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Closed 12:00 - 1:00 Daily
Please call for an appointment.

Michele L. Pemberton, Director / CVSO
(440) 279-1862 - After Hours Emergency Contact

John L. Brickman, Asst. Director / CVSO
(440) 279-1863

Randy McVicker, CVSO
(440) 279-1861

Dawn Richards, Admin / Transportation
(440) 279-1860

" care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan..."
- Abraham Lincoln, Second Inaugural Address, March 4, 1865

Vietnam War 50th Anniversary Commemoration

Vietnam Commemoration

Download and submit the Recognition Form by June 21st, 2017; either by Mail or E-Mail to:
You can Visit the THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA VIETNAM WAR COMMEMORATION site for more information.

The History of the Veterans' Service Commission

In May 1886, after the Civil War was over and reconstruction was well along, the Ohio Legislatures enacted 83 Ohio Law 232. This law provided for a Soldier's Relief Commission of three members to be appointed for each of the 88 counties in the state. The state legislature has seen a need to repay the debt owed Ohio's Civil War veterans along with concerns for their families formulated this set of laws to provide financial assistance for Soldiers, Sailors, Marines and their dependents or survivors.

The Soldier's Relief Commission functioned for nearly sixty years, providing for the needs of Ohio veterans, with little change. Each Soldier's Relief Commission, acting as a separate entity.

The Veterans' Service Commission

To oversee the operation of the Veterans' Service Office; to provide temporary financial assistance to veterans, spouses, dependent children and surviving spouses.

Eligibility to Receive Financial Assistance -

Each applicant for financial assistance under sections 5901.02 through 5901.15 of the Revised Code shall be a veteran, an active-duty member of the armed forces of the United States, or the spouse, surviving spouse, dependent parent, minor child, or ward of a veteran or active-duty member of the armed forces of the United State, who has been a bona fide resident of the county in which application is being made for at least 90 days.

Veterans' Service Commission (VSC)
Members and the Organization They Represent

Michael Blair - VVA/MOPH - President
Charles "Skip" Boehnlein – AL – Vice President
Blake Rear – DAV
Paul Newman – VFW
John Riha – AMVETS

Regular Veterans' Service Commission meetings are held at 3:00 p.m. on the first Tuesday of every month.  The meeting location is 470 Center Street, Building 5-B, Chardon, Ohio.

Due to the 4th of July holiday, the regular July meeting will be held on July 11, 2017.

Assistance We Provide

Temporary Financial Assistance -

Emergency funds for food, housing and utilities may be provided to veterans and/or their dependents. Applications for financial assistance are taken by appointments on Tuesday - Thursday from 8:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. For more information contact the Veterans' Service Office.

VA Benefits -

There are three very well trained and accredited Veteran Service Officers who will assist the veteran and his or her dependent in filing for the following VA benefits: service-connected compensation, non-service connected disability pension, survivor's pension, death and burial benefits, VA health care enrollment, headstones, education, home loan guarantee certificates, vocational rehabilitation, upgrading or correcting DD 214's.

Transportation to VA Medical Facilities -

The Veterans' Service Office has the capabilities of transporting veterans that are without means to and from their VA appointments. You must schedule all trips two weeks in advance and you must NOT have to depend on others to help you in and out of the county vehicle.  If you are over the age of 60, you are required to seek transportation from the Department on Aging.  They can be reached at 440-279-2130.

Flags and Grave Markers -

Each cemetery handles the placement of the flags and markers independently, but the Veterans' Service Office is happy to provide a flag and marker to family members who wish to mark the grave themselves.

  • Financial Assistance -

    • DD214 / Discharge
    • Proof of all household income (everyone who lives in your home)
    • Current ORIGINAL monthly bills
    • Marriage certificate / divorce decree
    • Birth certificate / Social Security cards
    • Lease agreement / landlord statement
    • Proof of application from Jobs and Family Services and United Way
    • Prior year W-2s
  • VA Benefits and/or Burial Program -

    • DD214 / Discharge
    • Proof of all household income (especially un-reimbursed medical expenses)
    • Current ORIGINAL monthly bills
    • Marriage certificate / divorce decree (from ALL marriages)
    • Birth certificates / Social Security cards
    • Medical statements from doctors
    • Death certificates
    • Any other information that you think pertains to your claim

Geauga County Veterans' Memorial

To see if your veteran’s name is listed visit our link to the Geauga County Veterans Memorial.

If you or someone you know is eligible to be honored on the county memorial, please contact our office with proof of service, i.e., a DD214, or Discharge, and a record of citizenship in Geauga County for more than five years at any time in his or her life.

Veteran Identification Card Program

Cards issued from 9:00-4:00

Sharon C. Gingerich

Geauga County Recorder

231 Main Street 1C

Chardon, OH 44024

(440) 279-2020

Commonly Used Forms

VA Medical Enrollment
Request Discharge/DD214 and Military Medals
Fully Developed Claim
Income and Net Worth Statement
Pension Fully Developed Claim
Power of Attorney
Burial Benefits
Dependency Indemnity Compensation/Death Pension
Military Headstones
Examination of Household Status or Permanent Need for Aid and Attendance
Request for Nursing Home Information
VBP Short
Veteran's Bonus Program